Thursday, June 5, 2008

Snack attack!

Megan took my suggestion to do a post about snacks in her series on recipes. Isn't she sweet? I struggle to keep my picky kids happy in the snack department. I'm afriaid I end up doing ye old graham crackers with peanut butter on most days. Or there's my wildly inventive ritz crackers version. And sometimes I get really crazy & throw in some raisins.
I'm just that cool.

Every now & then I get a wild hair and actually bake something...here's my giant list-o-recipes.

Multigrain fruit bars
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup wheat germ
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup dried cranberries
¾ cup corn syrup
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp cinnamon
Heat oven to 350
Spread oats, rice cereal, wheat germ and sunflower seeds in a greased 9x13 pan
Bake, stirring until oats are toasted, about 20 minutes
In a bowl, combine apricots, cranberries & the oat mixture
In a saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar, heat to a boil
Remove from heat & stir in vanilla & cinnamon
Pour syrup mixture over oat mixture & mix well
Coat hands with cooking spray, and spread mixture in prepared pan
Chill until firm & cut into 24 bars


These are very good but tend to fall apart.

90 minute soft pretzels
7 Cups all purpose flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 pk active dry yeast
2 cups water
2 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp water
2 egg yolks, beaten
Salt
Mix 2 cups flour, sugar salt and un-dissolved yeast
Heat 2 cups water and margarine to 120 to 130 degrees
Gradually add to dry ingredients
Beat 2 minutes at medium speed
Add 1-cup flour
Beat at high speed 2 minutes
Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough
On floured board, knead 5 minutes
Set in greased bowl & turn to grease top
Cover and let rise in warm, draft free place 40 minutes
Divide dough into 24 equal pieces
Roll each into a 20-inch rope
Shape into pretzels or other shapes
Place on greased baking sheets
Cover; let rest 5 minutes
Mix egg yolk and 1 tbsp water & brush on pretzels
Sprinkle with salt

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until done
Cool on racks


My mom used to make pretzels with us as kids. This is not her recipe, I found it online somewhere but my kids love playing with the dough as much as I did.

So there you have it, my giant contribution to the snack lovers of America. Go check out FriedOkra for more great ideas.

0 comments:

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr