Monday, August 11, 2008

I shoulda been Greek!

I have been remiss in my Whip it up recipe postings & I aim to catch up so you'll be seeing a lot more food here for awhile.
This recipe I actually made a few weeks ago but just have not had (or made) the time to post about it. But it's worth the wait if you like Greek food - I was SO happy when I tried this one.


Chicken Souvlaki Salad

2 tsp bottled minced garlic, divided
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
3 cups cubed peeled cucumber (about 3 cukes)
½ cup vertically sliced red onion
½ cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 lb)
½ cup plain fat free yogurt
¼ cup grated peeled cucumber
1 tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp garlic powder ¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper
¼ tsp black pepper
Preheat grill or broiler


Combine 1 tsp garlic & next 6 ingredients (garlic to chicken) in a large zip top plastic bag
Seal the bag and shake to coat
Remove chicken from the bag
Grill or broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done
Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces
Combine chicken, cubed cucumber, and the next 4 ingredients (cubed cucumber to tomatoes) in a large bowl
Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl
Pour over chicken mixture; toss well


Was the recipe easy to follow?

Yup.

Did the dish taste good?

I thought I'd died & gone to Greek heaven!

Would you make this again?

Already have - a note on that though...make sure you have plain yogurt, using vanilla by mistake does not ruin it but it's just not quite the same. Not that I'd know by experience or anything. (ahem)

0 comments:

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr