Monday, February 11, 2008

Yummy, yummy in my...oh, you know the rest.

This is the BEST soup I've ever had. The BEST!


Savory mushroom and barley soup

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 ½ lbs sliced fresh mushrooms
6 cups beef broth
½ cup quick cooking barley
2 cups sliced carrots
1 6oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
½ cup finely chopped parsley

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat
Add onion and celery and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes
Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently
Stir in broth
Bring mixture to a boil
Add barley, carrots and tomato paste
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
Remove from heat
Stir in salt and parsley and let stand 30 minutes to thicken slightly and allow flavors to blend
Re-warm before serving


I served this with green beans & baking powder biscuits. I usually want another biscuit at the end of a meal but this time I wanted more soup. Mmmmm, mmmmm, good baby!
Did I mention this soup was the BEST?
Instead of measuring the veggies I just used 2 medium onions, 3 small stalks celery & 4 small carrots. I used dried parsley instead of fresh cos I had a big jar of it. Oh, and I used 2 lbs of mushrooms. I always add extra mushrooms cos well, mushrooms are just the bomb!

The BEST, I'm telling you...

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh wow that looks good....Yum!

Kate said...

That sounds SO good! I've been craving soup lately and I love how this is full of veggies. Yum!

Roger Miller said...

The Best? Do you promise? Or can I curse you with, whatever I can curse ou with, if it isn't?

It does sound yummy though, maybe I should give it a whirl....

I LOVE soup.

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr